f The Wittenberg Door: Notable Quote: John Bunyan

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My Photo
Name:

Commenting on Christendom, culture, history, and other oddities of life from an historic Protestant perspective.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Notable Quote: John Bunyan

Thus far did I laden with my Sin;
Nor could ought ease the grief that I was in,
Till I came hither; What place is this!
Must here be the beginning of my bliss?
Must here the Burden fall from my back?
Must here the strings that bound it to me crack?
Blest Cross! blest Sepulchre! Blest rather be
The Man that there was put to Shame for me!

This Hill, though high, I covet to ascend,
The Difficulty will not me offend.
For I perceive the Way to Life lies here:
Come pluck up Heart, let’s neither faint not fear;
Better, though difficult, the Right Way to go,
Than Wrong, though easy, where the End is wo[e].

O World of Wonders! (I can say no less)
That I should be preserv’d in that Distress
That I have met with here! O Blessed be
That Hand that from it hath deliver’d me!
Dangers in darkness, Devils, Hell, and Sin,
Did compass me, while I this Vale was in:
Yea Snares, and Pits, and Traps, and Nets did lie
My Path about, that worthless, silly I
Might hae been catch’d, entangled and cast down:
But since I live, let Jesus wear the Crown.

The Pilgrim’s Progress (1678)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home