f The Wittenberg Door: Giving Cliché-Free Thanks

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My Photo
Name:

Commenting on Christendom, culture, history, and other oddities of life from an historic Protestant perspective.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Giving Cliché-Free Thanks

It’s funny the “Christianisms” we pick up as we travel the road to Glory. Sometimes they’re words or phrases that we reflexively sprinkle in our conversations like salt on popcorn (“I felt led . . .”, “Have a blessed day!”, “Has Jesus come into your heart?”, etc.) I’ve been a Christian for more than 20 years, and a thinking Christian for more than 15, but I still fall prey to using clichés—and sometimes they’re clichés I don’t even understand!

For instance, what does it mean to ask God to “bless my food”? I don’t know, but I have to fight not to pray it. I’m giving thanks for His gracious provision, and then I inexplicably throw in this shibboleth. Why? Am I asking for Him to keep my cholesterol low once I’ve finished my Bacon Double Cheeseburger? Do I want Him to keep the Blue Bell Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream from contributing to my bottom line? Or am I asking that He protect me against any poisons my praegustator might have missed? Your guess is as good as mine.

Diane Bucknell, of Theology for Girls fame, offers some other thoughts on giving thanks and being thankful in her post, Should I Pray Over It. Here’s an excerpt:

We have a friend who used to say, “If it’s under 4 bucks you don’t need to pray over it”. . .

But do I bow my head and pray over a cup of coffee and pastry at Starbucks? Well.., no. Why? I don’t know. Maybe our friend’s humor made a subconscious impact on me.

Whether or not I choose to make a public display of my thankfulness to God may not be as important as making a habit of cultivating a heart that is grateful for everything. To my shame, I don't know how many times I’ve routinely bowed to give thanks over a meal either at home or in public only to resume griping about something right after saying “In Jesus name, amen.” . . .

You can read the entire post here.

--The Catechizer

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! Thanks for linking!

8:34 PM  
Blogger The Catechizer and The Deacon said...

Sure thing, Diane. Keep up the great work!

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home