f The Wittenberg Door: A Law-Gospel Poem

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My Photo
Name:

Commenting on Christendom, culture, history, and other oddities of life from an historic Protestant perspective.

Thursday, February 27, 2014

A Law-Gospel Poem

The law supposing I have all,
Does ever for perfection call;
The gospel suits my total want,
And all the law can seek does grant.

The law could promise life to me,
If my obedience perfect be;
But grace does promise life upon
My Lord’s obedience alone.

The law says, Do, and life you’ll win;
But grace says, Live, for all is done;
The former cannot ease my grief,
The latter yields me full relief ….

The law brings terror to molest,
The gospel gives the weary rest;
The one does flags of death display,
The other shows the living way ….

Lo! In the law Jehovah dwells,
But Jesus is conceal’d;
Whereas the gospel’s nothing else
But Jesus Christ reveal’d.

Ralph Erskine (1685-1752)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home